Goals 4 Success’s Anti-Bullying Intervention Equine Program
BULLYING is an epidemic that is being experienced throughout the United States in many schools. Did you know?
- More than 160,000 U.S students stay home from school each day from fear of being bullied?
- 77% of students are bullied mentally, verbally, and physically.
- 64% of children being bullied do not report it
- Reason for being bullied is reported to be 55% due to looks, 37% due to body shape, and 16% of all cases due to race.
- Students who are bullied and engage in bullying behavior are the highest risk group for adverse outcomes throughout their life
- 14% of students have considered suicide because of bullying, 7 % have attempted each year ( NV PEP, 2009).
These statistics show how bullying has an immense effect on our student population, without proper intervention skills this epidemic will only worsen. GOALS 4 SUCCESS is an equine therapeutic facility that provides innovative and effective treatment in a myriad of different areas, including bullying. How do horses help? A change of environment from an urban school setting to a wide area with natural surroundings and fresh air, has a calming effect on troubled teens. However, in addition to the serene setting that our facility upholds, the horses have a huge effect. Horses are social animals that are very sensitive to the energy around them. They will respond appropriately to all human interactions. A horse will react to any expressions of anger, bullying or frustration, functioning as a mirror in which a teen can immediately see the effect of their emotions on attitudes. While working with horses, teenagers are able to gain insight on their emotions and behavior and have a non-threatening opportunity to find a more productive, positive way of interacting. Our facility offers an 11-week anti-bullying program that has been approved by over 350 Clark County Schools which will allow the students to see how their attitudes and behaviors affect the horses. Students will have the ability to learn to effectively work together and communicate with the horses to earn a connection and trust that will only be seen when positive interactions begin occurring.
We invite you to tour our website www.goals4success.org, as well as contact us with any questions on our program, facility, or for a trial sessions.
The Goals 4 Success Team – horses helping humans